Remove the loose peels of each onion, cut off both ends and slice in half. Remove any remaining peel off the onion (save skins and peels for broth!).
Slice onions in skinny uniform slices.
Line dehydrator trays with onion slices in a single layer, it's ok if they overlap a bit.
Dehydrate onion slices for 6-8 hours at 150 degrees F or until all onion pieces snap easily and are completely dry.
Grind dried onion slices in a high-powered blender, food processor or spice grinder until a fine powder.
Store in an air-tight container.
- If using the oven, see instructions in the post above.
- Try to slice onions uniformly so they all dry at the same speed.
- When checking if onions are dry, be sure to check the largest pieces, and check multiple pieces to ensure all onions are completely dry.
- You don't want to proceed until onions are completely dry as this could spoil your onion powder.
- Store onion powder in an air-tight jar or spice container.
Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 219mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg
We want to see! Tag @homesteadingfamily on Instagram.