- 6 cups pumpkin puree
- 12 whole eggs
- 2 cups milk, cream or heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 Tbs pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 homemade pie crusts
Add pumpkin, eggs, milk, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt into a large bowl.
Blend well with an immersion blender (or pour into a stand mixer, food processor, or mix by hand) until silky and smooth.
Pour filling into pie pans that have been prepared with rolled out pie crust dough.
Bake at 350°F for 45 - 55 minutes or until custard is set and the very center of the pie is slightly jiggly when lightly shaken.
- When making this for a breakfast custard we decrease the sugar to about 1 cup.
- Check out our video on making your own pumpkin pie puree.
- Be sure to taste your pie pumpkin before adding ingredients to know how sweet it is, this will let you know about how much sugar you should add.
- Many times homegrown and properly cured pie pumpkins and other sweet squash will be so sweet that you can decrease the sugar even more.
- You can sub maple syrup for the brown sugar and it’s very delicious. Start off with about 1 cup of maple syrup and adjust for desired sweetness.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 270mg | Potassium: 279mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 14740IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 2mg
We want to see! Tag @homesteadingfamily on Instagram.