- 2 apples, chopped (organic)
- 2 cups cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (or walnuts or other nut)
- 1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup apple cider (or apple juice, plus more if needed)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey, or sugar)
- 1/2 cup whey (or kombucha, kefir, sauerkraut juice, etc.)
- 1 tsp salt
Chop apples, cranberries and nuts and add to a large bowl.
Stir in the optional dried fruit, apple cider, and maple syrup.
Pour the starter liquid over the chopped mixture and sprinkle with salt. Then stir to combine and ladle into a quart-sized mason jar.
Pack your mixture down into the jar and top with apple cider until all food pieces are covered.
Cover with an airtight mason jar lid and set at room temperature.
2-4 times a day, burp your jar and give it a turn or two.
After 2 days, transfer the ferment to the refrigerator.
- There is a lot of variations you can do with this ferment. Experiment with your faorite fruits and seasonings until you find your family's favorite!
- Be sure to check your jar and burp it daily to avoid having your jar crack or break.
- Once ferment is moved to the refrigerator it's best consumed within a few months.
- As the ferment sits in the refrigerator, the flavor will continue to change and get less and less sweet.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg
We want to see! Tag @homesteadingfamily on Instagram.