We’re sharing all our best homemade Christmas Gifts in this roundup of DIY projects. The only rule is that the projects must be easy to make, able to make multiple gifts at once, and accessible for the kids to help.
If you’re looking for gift giving ideas that you don’t have to make, be sure to check out our Homesteader’s Christmas Gift Guide. That’s where you’ll find all the family-owned businesses we love to support (and they’re all products we use and love!).
This list is different. This is a list of DIY projects where you can gather your supplies, have a gift-making day with your kids, your friends, or just by yourself, and make a lot of heartfelt gifts all at once for not a lot of money.
The idea here is for an enjoyable, stress-free holiday. So don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Scroll through the list and pick a few of your favorites…
The holidays can be a very busy time of year, so what better gift than to give someone the night off of cooking? Make up a large batch of one of my convenience meals (like canned stew, or chicken chili) and a loaf of my easy 5-minute no-knead bread.
The no-knead bread dough can be doubled or tripled to have enough dough for multiple loaves of bread (each batch makes five good-sized loaves).
Include one of these DIY desserts in a jar and your meal in a basket is complete:
Homemade Cookie Platter
Christmas time is our favorite time for extra baking projects around the homestead. Some of our favorite recipes include our homemade chocolate coconut truffles, Linzer cookies, molasses cookies, and gingerbread.
You don’t have to bake 30 different cookie recipes, just pick a few of your favorites and place a couple of each kind on a platter (or paper plate), wrap it in parchment paper and secure it with some festive ribbon.
We like to do this for close friends, teachers, or as a hostess gift. Here are our favorite cookie/dessert recipes:
- Chocolate Coconut Truffles
- Homemade Fudgy Sourdough Brownies
- Freeze Dried Ice Cream
- Caramel Apples
- Linzer Cookies
- Molasses Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
Homemade Bath Products
Who doesn’t love fancy toiletries? Some festive-scented bath products packaged in a mason jar or repurposed container make for a great gift and are easy to whip up in large batches.
- DIY Rose Face Wash
- Homemade Sugar Scrub
- Herbal Calendula Oil
- Herbal Arnica Oil
- Homemade Arnica Salve
- DIY Lotion Bars
- Whipped Body Butter
- 3-Ingredient Lip Balm
- Homemade Bar Soap
- Homemade Foaming Hand Soap
Other Homemade Gifts
What other homemade gifts can you think of? Here are a few ideas that go beyond toiletries and food!
- Easy DIY Beeswax Wrap – This is a super fun project for the kids. But you may want to supervise as making homemade beeswax wrap can get a little messy!
- Homemade Wreath – With just a simple frame made out of pine branches or grapevines (or an inexpensive wire wreath form) and some cut pine branches and pine cones, you can easily make a beautiful, gift-worthy homemade wreath.
- DIY Christmas Garland – A great, inexpensive, fun craft made with tree branches, ribbons, and twinkle lights.
- Edible Playdough – A long time ago I made a video where I shared how to make edible playdough for the kids. You can color these up with natural dyes or non-toxic food coloring and your kids will have fun for hours.
I hope you take time this year to relax and enjoy the gift-giving experience. It’s all too easy to get wrapped up in the commercialism of the season, but with these heartfelt gifts, you’re sure to get into the true spirit of Christmas and pass that spirit along in each gift you give.